Newly diagnosed adult - very confused!

Morning all,

I was diagnosed with ASD on Friday and am completely reeling.

I am thirty-four years old and female. I have been treated for depression and anxiety since I was 18. In September I suffered a nervous breakdown. My husband suffers from ADHD and had been pushing me to be assessed for a while, and following the breakdown I agreed, because quite frankly I was non-functional and something had to change.

In November (I live in Oldham which finally has provision for this sort of thing on the NHS) I was diagnosed with ADHD (Hyperactive type). The curve ball was that my assessor asked me to see her colleague as well to be assessed for ASD.

I was surprised, but thinking nothing would come of it, didn't read up on it. As such, when I was told yesterday that I had do also have ASD I was knocked sideways. The assessor said that I'm very high functioning and mask well due to high intelligence but she was confident in her diagnosis. She said I have the variant that they used to refer to as Asperger's Syndrome.

I'm so confused and a bit in denial still. I mean, I'm empathic to a fault. I would say highly talkative, but I know that's a female symptom for hyperactive ADHD.

I'm starting the long process now of untangling the two to find a way forward.

Parents
  • Hi,

I'm useless at this kind of thing so I apologise in advance. I've been diagnosed with Aspergers just this afternoon, though I've sort of known for a few months, since I first heard about it. It made too much sense to be wrong and basically explained my whole , messed up life!! 

The psychiatric nurse has referred me for an official diagnosis. I don't really know what to do or where to go right now. Knowing has kind of made it worse. I know what the problem is but there's no cure and I can't control it!?  Im just so much more aware. Seems so cruel. I'm high functioning, always held down a job, and pretty smart (though it doesn't always translate). 

Suppose I'm just looking for support really. And suggestions on where to go to meet people like myself so I don't feel so lonely and alien. I just want the next 32 years to be better than the last 32. 

Sorry, this should have gone in new discussion and I don't know how to change it.  Sorry

• Hi,

I'm useless at this kind of thing so I apologise in advance. I've been diagnosed with Aspergers just this afternoon, though I've sort of known for a few months, since I first heard about it. It made too much sense to be wrong and basically explained my whole , messed up life!! 

The psychiatric nurse has referred me for an official diagnosis. I don't really know what to do or where to go right now. Knowing has kind of made it worse. I know what the problem is but there's no cure and I can't control it!?  Im just so much more aware. Seems so cruel. I'm high functioning, always held down a job, and pretty smart (though it doesn't always translate). 

Suppose I'm just looking for support really. And suggestions on where to go to meet people like myself so I don't feel so lonely and alien. I just want the next 32 years to be better than the last 32. 

Sorry, this should have gone in new discussion and I don't know how to change it.  Sorry

Children
No Data