Mum to an ADHD 3 year old. Hi!

Hi there! My sons 3 years old and is currently in the early stages of trying to get the diagnosis.

My health visitor told me to join this website and get some support from families who are going through the same. I'm not quite sure whether she believes he may have autism as he covers his ears a lot to noise. I don't believe he's autistic, but I know for a fact he has ADHD. I don't even need a professional to tell me. His development is around a year behind due to no patience to learn anything. He's also going for speech therapy at the moment. I'm hoping things may move sooner when he starts nursery next week.

Anyway, just looking for a bit of support and understanding from people going through a similar situation!

Parents
  • Hi Victoria and welcome,

The four things you mention above do sound like ASD. Speach delay and ADD can be overlapping conditions to ASD. Covering his ears sounds like a sensory issue to noise. He clearly finds noise painful and this may become more evident at nursary if the noise level is too much.

I would keep yourself open to the possibility he has ASD. If he does, early intevention can make all the difference. One of my lads wasn't diagnosed until much later and it's clear he missed out.

The process of diagnosis can be a long one 18 months +, se bee prepared for that also.

Good luck

Coogy

• Hi Victoria and welcome,

The four things you mention above do sound like ASD. Speach delay and ADD can be overlapping conditions to ASD. Covering his ears sounds like a sensory issue to noise. He clearly finds noise painful and this may become more evident at nursary if the noise level is too much.

I would keep yourself open to the possibility he has ASD. If he does, early intevention can make all the difference. One of my lads wasn't diagnosed until much later and it's clear he missed out.

The process of diagnosis can be a long one 18 months +, se bee prepared for that also.

Good luck

Coogy

Children
No Data