It's all new to me

Just joined this community in an attempt to better understand what my recent (professional) diagnosis of aspergers means.

i'm 36,  male in full time work, same company for the last 15 years.

i've been in a relationship for just over 10 years.

The diagnosis came about because of long standing difficulties in our relationship.

I'm described as cold, and uncaring, with little to no empathy, and no emotion.

apart from the outbursts I have on the on occasion, where i'm loud, verbally aggressive. these are counterbalanced by the time i totally shut down, I don't know how to explain it, it’s a maelstrom in my mind, but i'm just unable to vocalise or gesture, I just get stuck.

I’m just beginning to recognise traits that can be attributed to ASD.

Finding the whole thing a bit overwhelming if i’m honest. I’ve gone through much of my life just doing what came naturally to me and not questioning it, or other peoples reactions to what I do, so now i’m looking backwards through a lense of ASD and asking, is the because of that. I’m finding much of my past if vague and foggy, i’ve never had a great recall of my own life, just snippets, like trailers for a movie- i’ve always thought its like this for everyone- could be wrong there I suspect.

well sorry for the ramble

• Hello and welcome to you both,

The process of coming to terms with a diagnosis is generalyy a long one and each individual comes to acceptence in their own time.

Speaking from personal experience I've found the process extremely cathartic and a positive one. Once you feel ready, you may like to look at this book and see if any of the strategies may help you with relationships and everyday living, post diagnosis.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../1606236342

If you have anything specific, their are many here willing to help.

Take Care

Coogybear

• Stormgod said:

Just joined this community in an attempt to better understand what my recent (professional) diagnosis of aspergers means.

The diagnosis came about because of long standing difficulties in our relationship.

apart from the outbursts I have on the on occasion, where i'm loud, verbally aggressive. these are counterbalanced by the time i totally shut down, I don't know how to explain it, it’s a maelstrom in my mind, but i'm just unable to vocalise or gesture, I just get stuck.

Finding the whole thing a bit overwhelming if i’m honest. I’ve gone through much of my life just doing what came naturally to me and not questioning it, or other peoples reactions to what I do, so now i’m looking backwards through a lense of ASD and asking, is the because of that. I’m finding much of my past if vague and foggy, i’ve never had a great recall of my own life, just snippets, like trailers for a movie- i’ve always thought its like this for everyone- could be wrong there I suspect.

Hello Stormgod it's nice to meet you, I'm new to all this as well but I experience the shut down moments as well, pretty much all the time now (I'm having one as I write this in fact) and I tend to ramble alot as well, it happens.

• Stormgod said:

Hello Stormgod it's nice to meet you, I'm new to all this as well but I experience the shut down moments as well, pretty much all the time now (I'm having one as I write this in fact) and I tend to ramble alot as well, it happens.