Diagnosed Yesterday

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Asperger’s yesterday and although I have been undergoing the process of assessment for sometime, it was still a bit of a shock when I was told.Not a negative shock, more a surprized shock as I didn’t expect to be told in person.

I found the whole diagnostic assessment to be straightforward once my GP and local mental health team figured out how to arrange assessment for an adult.But the consultant psychologist that carried out the assessments was very good and although I was anxious I never experienced any pressure and she seemed to be very understanding.

In addition, I have teenage son who was diagnosed at an early age with Autism, who I have tried to help over the years.I always seemed to have an instinctive understanding of his problems as they arose and was able to explain to him, why people without autism behaved in certain way and how best to deal with certain situations.I remember going through the same problems when I was young and I have been able to give him shortcuts on how to understand and deal with difficult situations and people.

I am currently intercalating my third year of my degree (Software Engineering) at university due to sound sensitivity issues and I am hoping to return in September.

I have joined this community to correspond with other people, so I can learn more about autism and meet other people who have similar issues.

Regards

Michael

• Welcome to the community!

There are several of us on the forum diagnosed as adults and it is very common to find that it is passed from generation to generation so you are not alone.

Have you tried noise cancelling headphones - I have a set of in ear phones that I use at work to hep me concentrate. I have a bit of sensitivity to noise but think that it comes and goes a bit. I used to find cappucino machines to be unbearable but lately haven't been bothered by them.