Toddler with autism

Hi 

My 18month old son has autism. I first noticed something was different when he was 6months old. We are currently working with a therapist and started an early intervention which isn't going very well. I feel the module is aimed for children more aged 2-3 so my sons needs are not being met. I often hear 'the earlier parents spot autism syptoms the better' although it seems not many professionals based where I live are experienced enough for my sons age group. 

I hope to meet other parents maybe very with young children or similar experiences so maybe I can find better help for my son. 

Thanks Maree

Parents
  • Hi Smile.  To have an official diagnosis at 18 months  very unusual, from what I know.  2-3 yrs + upwards seems to be the norm.  This could be why those working to help your son may be having difficulties, as you point out.  What therapy are they using?  Perhaps you need to reappraise how useful the present therapy, regardless of how qualified the therapist is?  It could turn him off.  There's lots of info via the home pg + the research autism site about therapies, also in the posts.  You may have researched all this already, so apologies if so Smile.  Others may be along soon who may be more helpful to you.  It's quite a while since my son was diagnosed a few months before his 3rd birthday.

• Hi Smile.  To have an official diagnosis at 18 months  very unusual, from what I know.  2-3 yrs + upwards seems to be the norm.  This could be why those working to help your son may be having difficulties, as you point out.  What therapy are they using?  Perhaps you need to reappraise how useful the present therapy, regardless of how qualified the therapist is?  It could turn him off.  There's lots of info via the home pg + the research autism site about therapies, also in the posts.  You may have researched all this already, so apologies if so Smile.  Others may be along soon who may be more helpful to you.  It's quite a while since my son was diagnosed a few months before his 3rd birthday.

Children
No Data