General information about me

Hi everyone, my name is Sian I'm a mother of two children, my 12 year old son and my 7 year old daughter. My son has severe autism and we've all been through a lot over the past year. My ex-husband had thrown us out last summer then 2 weeks later moved his pregnant Hungarian girlfriend in. It's been a really difficult time as my children are constantly let down by their dad and the upheaval of moving from my sisters, to refuge and finally to our home where we have settled in well and my children are happier and the neighbours have been fantastic and welcomed us into the community. 

Right now I need some help and advice on my son, so please come and say hi!!

• CAMHS: Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services, it's an NHS thing...

www.youngminds.org.uk/.../camhs

People often talk about it here on the forum

community.autism.org.uk/.../camhs

I'm an adult aspie so haven't any personal experience.

• Thank you. I think it's a mixture of things, letting him have his own way for 10 years then moving last year and now I'm trying to change his routine for the better. i have been accepted for overnight respite but I have to fill out a form called all about me before it starts. What is camhs? Unfortunately he doesn't do anything quieter and he goes to youth club once a week. My family help too.

• Welcome to the community. You have a tough situation there. Do you think you need some additional help at home as you sound near to exhaustion. Presumably you are supported by camhs and they may be able to help you obtain some relief?

Does your son read or do any quieter activities that keep him engaged and help him settle towards bedtime?

• Hi all, yes I suppose I do. My son attends Trinity Feilds School which is in South Wales and he absolutely loves it!! He enjoys going to Mccdonalds, swimming, KFC, his aunts walKing and going on his iPad. unfortunately he doesn't seem to want to settle in the evenings when it's time for bed!! i love him so much but I'm knack erred and I need some help and advice on how to deal with this matter.

• Hi Sian - you pack a lot of info into a short email Smile.  Sounds like some of your troubles, esp in the shape of your ex, might be behind you now?  Maybe not, they can be difficult to get rid of permanently Frown.  I hope things are really gd for you all in 2015.  Tell us about your son so we can reply in a more detailed way.  School, personality, hobbies etc.