New here

Hi, I'm a mum to 3 boys and today we have finally received an autism diagnosis for my eldest son who is 6. I'm feeling quite overwhelmed and doing lots of reading but I hope I can find out more from people who are living with it.

• My 14 year old son was diagnosed with adhd while in primary 7.  He has more recently been diagnosed with aspergers.  i have been trying to get extra support for him as he has difficulty in concentrating or retaining any information.  He could sit with a blank piece of paper for the whole period and then get into trouble for not having done any work.  He does not bring any homework home.  His reading is very bad and writing is very poor.  He is late every morning and sometimes  Leaves school as I think he is finding it difficult, and feels that there is no point in being there.  He has been told to concentrate more and do his homework.   I have asked about extra support but keep getting told that it is not available.  He was recently excluded for a day because he had a run in with one of the deputy's who is not regarded as very nice.  He was told to leave the school.  I received a phone call after he had left to say that he had been sent out of school.  He did not have a jacket on, does not have a key as he is always loosing them and more importantly I was not at home.  I found him sitting on the door step freezing cold After I rushed home.  when I spoke to the school the answer was 'I didn't know he didn't have a key.  Why should they that is not the issue.   I had a phone call earlier that morning to say he had walked out and they did not know where he was.  I later found out that he was I fact in the playground but went back in after 5 mins and went to classes. I was not informed of this and was worried sick and out looking for him.  i feel that I should take this matter further as I feel that it was the schools responsibility to make sure he was safe.  Also how to I get extra help for him at mainstream school.  I am told by the school that there is a class helper for all the pupils but I don't feel this is enough As it is for all the class of about 30.  Sorry for rambling on but I am extremely frustration.

• hi everyone,

I have just started reading emails on this forum, hope you are all doing well, second successive sunny day in London in some time!

Our 5 year old was diagnosed with ASD a year and half ago and as i see him helping himself to some cornflakes, i recalled our first visit to the doctor for a case of potential ASD, we had that same shattering feeling. But we have had a more enjoyable time than we feared we would and it has been because both parents and child have adapted. So, all the best, EmJ, it's a journey.

I had a query for the members of the forum - our son has an approved SEN statement, with SEN support provisioned at his state school. If we move to another Council area, will he have to go through a SEN evaluation again, for support to be provisioned? Is the Council obliged to provide support or can they take a call based on their budget? This is going to affect our house move plans so any advice, anecdotes from similar experience will be appreciated, thanks!