Autism blog post(it would mean a lot if you read this)

thoughtsoflauryn.blogspot.co.uk/.../do-you-really-know-as-much-about-autism.html 

I spent a lot of time making this blog post explaining the common misconceptions and how difficult autism is to live with but also the good points too and it would mean a lot to me if you could give it a read and perhaps comment either here or on my blog about what you think of it or if you have any other suggestions about what I could write about. 

Thank you Smile

Parents
  • Hi Laurynidk. I have had a read of your blog. I think every condition/ health problem affecting the brain is surrounded by myth and misconceptions. This is because people won't talk about it. People who are well/normal, think it is an embarrassment to be hidden, a taboo subject. Even those who sympathise tend to think it should be hidden. When I first became depressed, even my GP asked whether I would be OK with having depression on my med cert for work. People go away and leave you to get better alone. With A.S.D., you don't even get better, no hope at all.

The only way this will change is if we all talk about it more, not just to like minded people, but to the majority out there who think it is a taboo subject.

A start has been made with things like the book/film, The Curious incident of the dog in the night, but this starts a whole new stereotype, because we are not all like him.

It needs to become a subject, like any other that can be discussed openly.

• Hi Laurynidk. I have had a read of your blog. I think every condition/ health problem affecting the brain is surrounded by myth and misconceptions. This is because people won't talk about it. People who are well/normal, think it is an embarrassment to be hidden, a taboo subject. Even those who sympathise tend to think it should be hidden. When I first became depressed, even my GP asked whether I would be OK with having depression on my med cert for work. People go away and leave you to get better alone. With A.S.D., you don't even get better, no hope at all.

The only way this will change is if we all talk about it more, not just to like minded people, but to the majority out there who think it is a taboo subject.

A start has been made with things like the book/film, The Curious incident of the dog in the night, but this starts a whole new stereotype, because we are not all like him.

It needs to become a subject, like any other that can be discussed openly.

Children
No Data