Hi,

New to the site but looking forward to meeting new friends and learning a lot.

My little girl is in the process of being assessed but the consultant says she is 90% sure she is autistic and 10% going towards learning difficulties.

I am still learning a lot about autism as such a broad subject. Just happy to have found this forum to read that I am not the only parent going through it.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.Smile 

• Helen31 said:

Yes I understand,  I definitely wouldn't want my work knowing, I know in this day and age employers aren't meant to discriminate but I think a lot of places still do. I don't really want any of the people I know to treat me differently,  just to maybe be a little bit understanding about some of my "quirks".

IN my case, I'm being made redundant (nothing to do with Asperger's or anything related). Strictly speaking, Asperger's would be seen as a disadvantge in my current job and, on reflection, has caused odd problems, although my overall "track record" is good to very good

• Yes I understand,  I definitely wouldn't want my work knowing, I know in this day and age employers aren't meant to discriminate but I think a lot of places still do. I don't really want any of the people I know to treat me differently,  just to maybe be a little bit understanding about some of my "quirks".

• Helen31 said:

Hi I'm a new member here so just introducing myself. I was diagnosed a few months ago, which came as quite a relief after struggling to understand myself my whole life really. I was a bit reluctant to get involved with the asd community as I'm such a private person and don't really talk to anyone apart from my mum about this, but thought it might be good to meet people in similar situations to me. Anyway I'm keeping this short as its just an initial hello.....

Welcome. I think this sort of place helps and you don't have to give your real name or any clue as to who you really are. I'm quite open on here (also new) but have many reasons for keeping my true identity secret. One of them is that I am looking for work and don't want my name to come up in internet searches.

• Hi I'm a new member here so just introducing myself. I was diagnosed a few months ago, which came as quite a relief after struggling to understand myself my whole life really. I was a bit reluctant to get involved with the asd community as I'm such a private person and don't really talk to anyone apart from my mum about this, but thought it might be good to meet people in similar situations to me. Anyway I'm keeping this short as its just an initial hello.....

• charliebrown said:

Hi,

New to the site but looking forward to meeting new friends and learning a lot.

My little girl is in the process of being assessed but the consultant says she is 90% sure she is autistic and 10% going towards learning difficulties.

I am still learning a lot about autism as such a broad subject. Just happy to have found this forum to read that I am not the only parent going through it.

Look forward to hearing from anyone.Smile 

I'm curious here. My daughter has a disorder (dyspraxia) and I believe that many of her issues are hereditary. I thought I had the same disorder for years but my doctor thinks I've got Asperger's. We went through Hell with our daughter. Sure, she has some limitations but is now training to be a schoolteacher.

I've never had any sort of official diagnosis and, approaching retirement age, my doctor thinks one might do me more harm than good but I knew I wasn't "neurotypical" from an early age.

I'm no expert but one thing I have learned is that we are all individuals and none of us conform to the many "popular" stereotypes. Few people tick all the boxes. At your daughter's age, it is hard to understand just what her capabilities are and exactly what her issues are. I wish you luck in your long journey ahead.

• Sorry for delay but had family member that very well.

Our little girl is non verbal but I have noticed that a lot of Autistic child are non verbal till around 4/5 years old. Did your son make any sounds whenhe was a baby/toddler?.

We are moving to be closer to an area that has several special nurseries and schools. I have heard of people home schooling but I think she would benefit so much by going to a school that understood autism.

Sometimes there is so much information it is hard to digest it all! lol.Smile

• Hi again Smile.   I have autistic adult son in supported living.  He didn't speak till he was 5, then said a 6 word phrase.  He understood short phrases/single words a long time prior to speaking.  He had gd speech therapy at school.  It was an autism specific school with small classes + a gd teacher/TA ratio : children in each class.  Like any child, parents can see where their strengths lie.  My son was practical + had a good sense of humour from an early age.  He also enjoyed his food except for a few things he's never liked - I suppose like the rest of us in that respect. 

• Hi Crystal, thank you for postSmile. You are so right, so much to get my head round!. My little girl is just about to turn 2. She is not doing too bad, not great in some social situations and finds it hard in inclosed spaces with people, has to have the freedom to wander around.

She is non verbal at the moment and we are waiting an appointment with Speech therapy amougst others to help. Every day is a learning curve but would not change her for anything, think there is going to be lots that she can teach me.

Do you have children of your own with Autism?

• Hi - welcome Smile.  Yes, it's a lot to get your head around!  Chip in whenever you want to about whatever you want to.  How old's your little girl - how's she's doing?