Finally diagnosed at 15

My eldest son is 15. 2 days ago he was diagnosed with ASD and ADD. 

Its a very long story but due to waiting lists and house moves and rubbish school sencos I have been banging my head on a wall for years!!! 

My sons school were not interested as he's a quiet introspective boy and internalises his problems, brining them home to the safety of mum to play out whatever anxiety the day has brought. 

But his mock gcses showed that his work has slipped enormously, and that coincided with the school employing a new senco. It was 3 months from my first concersation with her to actual diagnosis!!!!! The sense of frustration and relief really is something else. 

Part of me wants to complain about the old senco- officially. Part of me is so angry with myself for not standing up for myself better on his behalf. And part of me is jsut so enormously overwhelmed by the help he's about to receive to get through  his exams and move on to college. I'm relieved and exhausted, and have a sense of 'now what do I do?!' 

Im glad for resources like this and think I'll be reading rather a lot 

nice to meet you all x 

• ThePinkPixie said:

i don't suppose anyone knows about whether I'll get funding for transport to college- he's due to go next September 

You could apply for PIP on his behalf...

1. Claims to PIP are started over the phone by calling the PIP new claimsnumber 0800 917 2222 (Text phone: 0800 917 7777). Once the claimhas been registered, DWP will send the claimant a 'How your disability affects you' (PIP2) form for completion, together with an information booklet.
  • Hi Pixie my son started college this year and with proof of diagnosis had help with bus pass cost and we paid 10 pounds towards it , sadley he has just been finished there as his anxieties got the better of him and could not keep up his attendance. my advice is to let the college know he is planning to attend there way in advance so they can paln support for him properly.  Most colleges are far better with this than schools. Your song is fantastic and made me cry with pride for my boy. Well done

• I have written to the head teacher to let her know I feel let down but to commend her on her new senco. The last thing I want to do is shoot myself in the foot when they are finally starting to help ..... It's a week since I wrote and no reply or confirmation of the letter ...

i haven't got a cd, but am considering putting one together. I've also considered offering up to the charity as a fundraiser?! thanks for listening to it :) x

i don't suppose anyone knows about whether I'll get funding for transport to college- he's due to go next September and the senco has already said I won't get the new statement (ehcp?!) 

• Pixie...do u distribute cds? its powerful songwriting...

• ThePinkPixie said:

I don't know really Frown I can't decide if I should complain or not. What will it achieve?! Frown 

i think you should lodge a complaint...if for no other reason, it might cause them to treat better the next Autistic child that comes into their power...

• I don't know really :( I can't decide if I should complain or not. What will it achieve?! :( 

i process things by writing songs.... So i did this 

https://soundcloud.com/lisavonh/i-love-you-because 

I hope your nephew gets the hep he need x 

brightest blessings 

x

• hi again :)  My nephew (still undiagnosed at 15) has had such rubbish support from the sencos in his school - it looks like he is about to be expelled.  How do you even go about complaining.

I feel the same as you about this resource, nice to meet you too x