Aspie women out there?

Hello. I'm almost 30. Awaiting an appointment for my first diagnosis. I live in London yet feel incredibly alone. None of my colleagues would guess as I'm so good at forcing myself to hide how I feel. Is there anyone else out there in a similar situation?

• Hi, I am retired female.

I failed to get even considered for diagnosis. I believe it is expensive and gives right of access to expensive treatments etc.

I have abandoned that route in favour of educating myself on the subject and then those around me. If I need advice, I will seek out those with experience, here.

I have found Tania Marshalls website on female Aspians helpful, and the book Aspergirls. I am now reading The Complete guide to Aspergers Syndrome by Tony Attwood, from the library. With understanding comes great relief.

I have been helped to look at issues that have been long standing problems and am gaining confidence from that. 

Itis good to talk to like minded people.I

• Hi, fi (hi-fi, geddit?)

I'm a bloke but I am aspie and do want to welcome you to the forum! :)

I'm glad you found somewhere that you can feel a little less alone and I hope you find the answers you're looking for through your diagnosis. Personally I think there are a lot more aspie women and girls out there than people think, so you are definitely not alone!

Chin up

Laddo

• Thank you. So nice to wake up to a positive message. This week I know I'm going to have to work really hard to keep on top of everything but messages like these help with that.

• Sorry to hear you've had a tough weekend - don't beat yourself up about last night - we've all been there, I can assure you ( and I am supposedly NT!). 

It will be strange when your sister goes, but you will cope, and staying in contact with her will help (via skype etc).- just give yourself time to adjust & get used to the change. 

Our daughter (nearly 15) has just received a diagnosis of autism after years of worry & it has opened up help & support for her/us - I imagine the same will be for you once you get a diagnosis. This site also keeps us sane because you know you have people on your side. Keep going - you will be fine!

X

• Thank you everyone for your support. This weekend has been a real struggle. Feeling very alone when things go wrong doesn't get any easier. My sister is moving to live abroad for a year and it hit me today that she's the only close friend I have in London. I went to her leaving party last night but left after an hour as I was embarrassed sitting on my own or weirdly hovering on the edge of other people's conversations. Annoyed with myself today that I didn't try harder. Have felt very weepy today wandering around on my own and have climbed into bed now. Have to hold onto some sort of hope I guess. 

• Hello,

I'm middle aged and have only been diagnosed recently. Frankly, it was a liberation to find out why things were so difficult for me throughout my life.

Bumbling through life not realizing what was wrong and why I wasn't coping was awful. Since diagnosis things have slowly begun to turn around for me.

Talking with others on the forum you will also learn that you are not alone. Reach out if ever you have a problem and someone will respond.

I hope your diagnostic journey is a short one and that you find the answers you seek.

Keep us posted

Coogy

• Hello fi_110

I was diagnosed a few months ago, I am 32 and female.

It was a relief when the diagnosis came, it made sense and explained a lot for me.

I live in Manchester, I have been here 3 years and I still haven't managed to make any real friends, despite my best efforts and being on a part time college course. 

It can be very tough at times, but we can find support and encouragement from others here.

I hope things go well for you.

• Hi if 110,

Welcome to the community. 

I am Kalliopi one of the forum moderators. I hope you find it helpful! 

Best,

kalliopimod

• Hi Fi

There are plenty of ladies on the site. I just tried a search for posts with female in the text

http://community.autism.org.uk/search/node/female

Not sure why none of them have responded to your request - it has been quiet this week.

Anyway, welcome to the site, I hope we can help you.

:-

• I imagine there are large numbers in a similar situation but many find it difficult to obtain a diagnosis because they - like you - are very good at hiding how they feel and their GPs refuse to believe that they could possibly be on the spectrum.  Once diagnosed,though, the relief is amazing so good luck and I hope things go well for you.