Hi - Self - Diagnosed and unsure what to do next...

Hi all

I am a 64 years old male. I have self - diagnosed as autistic  on the strength of some Youtube videos I watched recently. I have a previous diagnosis of ADD from about 25 years ago (private), this was refuted by Maudsley about 15 years ago because I don't apparently respond appropriately to methylphenidate... I tried the drug again a couple of years ago but it didn't end well.

My questions revolve around diagnosis and help.

Are there reputable online tests for autism that I could take to have a better picture of where I am with this.

I am based on the coast between Brighton and Eastbourne, could anyone recomend a therapist? I would dearly like to gain some sort of perspective on what to do about this 'diagnosis' - or if the diagnosis is inapropriate then some guidance generally.

Not looking for sympathy here just a grown up perspective.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Parents
  • Hello Paul. I'm self diagnosed and finally happy that I accepted that decision. I had two avenues to come to that conclusion:

1. When my daughter was properly diagnosed, I did a lot of research about autism to try and understand what that meant for her. Actually what it did was highlight a lot about myself too.
    2. I will also agree with others about the website Embrace Autism. There is so much information out there it can feel overwhelming. This site I thought was very clear in what it did, it explained the tests you can do which are based on research, and it will explain where it thinks some of the questions are not clear enough for autistic people to understand.

After that, I chose to stay self-diagnosed and not go any further, I am happy with the knowledge I gained, however others may feel different and chose to get a more formal diagnosis which is also fine. I hope that helps you.

• Hello Paul. I'm self diagnosed and finally happy that I accepted that decision. I had two avenues to come to that conclusion:

1. When my daughter was properly diagnosed, I did a lot of research about autism to try and understand what that meant for her. Actually what it did was highlight a lot about myself too.
    2. I will also agree with others about the website Embrace Autism. There is so much information out there it can feel overwhelming. This site I thought was very clear in what it did, it explained the tests you can do which are based on research, and it will explain where it thinks some of the questions are not clear enough for autistic people to understand.

After that, I chose to stay self-diagnosed and not go any further, I am happy with the knowledge I gained, however others may feel different and chose to get a more formal diagnosis which is also fine. I hope that helps you.

Children
No Data