Hi - Self - Diagnosed and unsure what to do next...

Hi all

I am a 64 years old male. I have self - diagnosed as autistic  on the strength of some Youtube videos I watched recently. I have a previous diagnosis of ADD from about 25 years ago (private), this was refuted by Maudsley about 15 years ago because I don't apparently respond appropriately to methylphenidate... I tried the drug again a couple of years ago but it didn't end well.

My questions revolve around diagnosis and help.

Are there reputable online tests for autism that I could take to have a better picture of where I am with this.

I am based on the coast between Brighton and Eastbourne, could anyone recomend a therapist? I would dearly like to gain some sort of perspective on what to do about this 'diagnosis' - or if the diagnosis is inapropriate then some guidance generally.

Not looking for sympathy here just a grown up perspective.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Parents
  • Hi Paul and welcome to the community!

Are there reputable online tests for autism that I could take to have a better picture of where I am with this

I second 's suggestion of looking into the tests that are available on the Embrace Autism website. Notably, that website very helpfully enables you to complete the tests online and to save or print off the results (which could be useful for your therapist to see - and perhaps also your GP, if you ever decide to pursue a formal diagnosis).

The tests that are most commonly used in autism referral screening are AQ-10 and AQ-50. RAADS-R can also be useful.

could anyone recomend a therapist?

Before embarking on therapy (or counselling), I recommend borrowing or buying this book, which several members here (myself included) have found very helpful:

The Autistic Survival Guide to Therapy

This practical guide can help you to focus on finding both the right kind of therapist or counsellor and the right type of therapy or counselling for your needs.

The NAS's Autism Services Directory might help you with finding someone. For example: a search for "counselling" within a 20-mile radius of Newhaven generates four results:

NAS Autism Services Directory

Finally, you might also find it helpful to read the resources in the NAS's recently revamped diagnosis hub, which includes sets of articles covering before diagnosis, assessment and diagnosis, and after diagnosis. 

• Hi Paul and welcome to the community!

Are there reputable online tests for autism that I could take to have a better picture of where I am with this

I second 's suggestion of looking into the tests that are available on the Embrace Autism website. Notably, that website very helpfully enables you to complete the tests online and to save or print off the results (which could be useful for your therapist to see - and perhaps also your GP, if you ever decide to pursue a formal diagnosis).

The tests that are most commonly used in autism referral screening are AQ-10 and AQ-50. RAADS-R can also be useful.

could anyone recomend a therapist?

Before embarking on therapy (or counselling), I recommend borrowing or buying this book, which several members here (myself included) have found very helpful:

The Autistic Survival Guide to Therapy

This practical guide can help you to focus on finding both the right kind of therapist or counsellor and the right type of therapy or counselling for your needs.

The NAS's Autism Services Directory might help you with finding someone. For example: a search for "counselling" within a 20-mile radius of Newhaven generates four results:

NAS Autism Services Directory

Finally, you might also find it helpful to read the resources in the NAS's recently revamped diagnosis hub, which includes sets of articles covering before diagnosis, assessment and diagnosis, and after diagnosis. 

Children
No Data