Autism Diagnosis

Mid life diagnosis, puts so much into perspective & makes sense yet there seems to be after the initial relief at knowing, a huge amount of processing & internal dialogue. I guess I am wondering how other people felt and if they went through similar? 

Parents
  • I’m lucky in one sense since my later in life diagnosis online in 2021 at age 53 now, since I’d started the process in 2019 as I’d had a strong Irish Catholic faith which has helped me cope - I was a little surprised in reading my diagnosis report which mentioned my “passion” for the Catholic Church, as despite being raised in Vatican II, I’d went back to pre-Vatican II (Mass in Latin - pre 1962) after being so long away from my faith until 18 years ago, when I’d came back to my faith - I found that during Covid and after my diagnosis, my faith deepened as did the understanding of my faith also deepened, where I no longer took my faith for granted, as I had as a child growing up in Vatican II - I was also lucky in that many friends of my family were priests, friars and nuns in many enclosed Catholic religious orders, so my Catholic faith was an important part of my autism journey, helped by attending the Traditional Mass in Latin and teaching myself to pray the Rosary in Latin 

• I’m lucky in one sense since my later in life diagnosis online in 2021 at age 53 now, since I’d started the process in 2019 as I’d had a strong Irish Catholic faith which has helped me cope - I was a little surprised in reading my diagnosis report which mentioned my “passion” for the Catholic Church, as despite being raised in Vatican II, I’d went back to pre-Vatican II (Mass in Latin - pre 1962) after being so long away from my faith until 18 years ago, when I’d came back to my faith - I found that during Covid and after my diagnosis, my faith deepened as did the understanding of my faith also deepened, where I no longer took my faith for granted, as I had as a child growing up in Vatican II - I was also lucky in that many friends of my family were priests, friars and nuns in many enclosed Catholic religious orders, so my Catholic faith was an important part of my autism journey, helped by attending the Traditional Mass in Latin and teaching myself to pray the Rosary in Latin 

Children
No Data