For the oldies - Ladybird's books

I went to St Albans museum today with my parent-in-laws.

They had a small exhibition of Ladybird book art work.

It was a real trip down memory lane, with pictures that I have not seen since Primary school in the 70s.

Parents
  • Those books have just bought back some good and bad memories, In the early 70’s I was taken out of class every day and had my reading lessons in something called ITA English. It was a group of 4 in the cloakroom. I realise now that I most probably am dyslexic, these books really didn’t help. I got to my next school and wasn’t believed that the ITA books existed, they were all Ladybird books. Most books were destroyed after the experiment failed, any remaining copies fetch between £50 - £80.

I ended up collecting Ladybird books when my children were young, it became a bit of an obsession, or as I would now term ‘a special interest’, I had a whole large bookcase filled just with Ladybird books. The children grew older and one day  I donated the books to the local charity shop.

• I remember ITA and our children's library had a section of books in it. Some local schools used it, but not mine. I have heard from people who learnt it that they still struggle with spelling. 

• I remember ITA and our children's library had a section of books in it. Some local schools used it, but not mine. I have heard from people who learnt it that they still struggle with spelling. 

Children
  • Yes, I still struggle with the most basic words, I used the word destroyed earlier, that took me four attempts to spell it and that was with autocorrect switched on. I just can’t see how words are put together. Writing is awkward, I start quite a few letters and numbers from the bottom. The problem is, I wasn’t taught normal English as well. 
    This was my alphabet for 3 years, sorry it’s a bit blurry.