Hello, but sad :(

Hi there, I am 38 year old woman with high functioning Autism. 

I was going to ask for some help on this forum about some housing and mental health issues, however apparently my post was flagged as 'spam or abuse', it was neither. I am very disappointed and upset by this so I doubt I will be making any further posts. I bet the same thing happens to this one!.

Parents
  • Hi Chez - welcome to the community!

The automated flagging of forum posts can be very frustrating and upsetting, but it's worth bearing with it, as there are lots of friendly people here to chat with and ask for advice. It's a system-based issue and the NAS is due to move to a new forum system next month, so things will hopefully improve. 

You mention looking for help on mental health issues and housing. You might find these NAS resources helpful:

Mental health

Social care

Just a quick word on terminology: "high functioning" autism has only ever been an informal term, never an official diagnostic one. Also, the use of high / low functioning terms is now considered inappropriate by many in the autistic community.

Under both of the major classification systems, we're instead referred to as having Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Under DSM-V, this would include the specifier Level 1, which recognises that you have support needs (versus 2 and 3 with greater needs). Under ICD-10, there are no level specifiers.

More info: Autism diagnosis.

• Hi Chez - welcome to the community!

The automated flagging of forum posts can be very frustrating and upsetting, but it's worth bearing with it, as there are lots of friendly people here to chat with and ask for advice. It's a system-based issue and the NAS is due to move to a new forum system next month, so things will hopefully improve. 

You mention looking for help on mental health issues and housing. You might find these NAS resources helpful:

Mental health

Social care

Just a quick word on terminology: "high functioning" autism has only ever been an informal term, never an official diagnostic one. Also, the use of high / low functioning terms is now considered inappropriate by many in the autistic community.

Under both of the major classification systems, we're instead referred to as having Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Under DSM-V, this would include the specifier Level 1, which recognises that you have support needs (versus 2 and 3 with greater needs). Under ICD-10, there are no level specifiers.

More info: Autism diagnosis.

Children
No Data