Hello from a newly diagnosed 30 year old (female) with an interest in Harry Potter (amongst other things)

Hi all!

Newly diagnosed with ASD (a couple of weeks ago). I only realised I may be Autistic March last year so it's been a bit of an eye opener. 

I also have inattentive ADD - assessment later this year. 

My most persistent interest is Harry Potter. Also interested in video games, board games, miniature painting, digital art, crochet, animals, gym, learning Japanese and Japanese culture and travel generally, reading fiction (fantasy). 

I'd like to say hi to anyone with similar interests. 

Parents
  • Welcome! I’m also new, also female, but in my 40s :)

What sort of video games are you into? And how are you finding Japanese learning? I’m also learning Japanese, reason being I’m half Japanese but raised in the west and was not taught it growing up D: So I have been teaching myself over the years. 

I would love to go to the Snow Festival in Sapporo, it’s on my list! I try to go to Japan about once a year, as finances allow. I’ll be going this winter with my husband, mainly to see some family and sort some things out for my dad. Looking forward to it! We’ll be mainly in Kanagawa prefecture (Yokohama, etc). 

What is Hyper Japan like in London? We live in the North so have never been sadly.

• Welcome! I’m also new, also female, but in my 40s :)

What sort of video games are you into? And how are you finding Japanese learning? I’m also learning Japanese, reason being I’m half Japanese but raised in the west and was not taught it growing up D: So I have been teaching myself over the years. 

I would love to go to the Snow Festival in Sapporo, it’s on my list! I try to go to Japan about once a year, as finances allow. I’ll be going this winter with my husband, mainly to see some family and sort some things out for my dad. Looking forward to it! We’ll be mainly in Kanagawa prefecture (Yokohama, etc). 

What is Hyper Japan like in London? We live in the North so have never been sadly.

Children
  • Thank you!

My all-time favourites are Skyrim and Stardew Valley, so really a mix of very open-world fantasy RPGs that aren't too difficult and cosy farming simulations that I can just pick up and put down. What about you?

Japanese is hard!!! I've been learning on and off for a while but have a consistent tutor now (who lives in Japan) every week. We're working our way through Genki 1 and I'm hoping to pass the N5 exam in December. How are you finding it? Do you have people to speak it with as practice?

It lined up with my 30th birthday and I could not pass it up! I'd love to go once a year, there is just so much to explore. I've only been Tokyo (Asakusa, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku) and Sapporo so far but have so many places I want to visit. Do you have a favourite areas in Kanagawa?

It was really good when I went! It really kick-started my interest. They had bands, talks, stalls and food. I haven't been since visiting Japan so would be interested to see how it holds up.