Recently diagnosed adult

Hi, I was diagnosed a week ago as autistic at 40. I'm still processing it, Ive been up and down but on the whole I'm feeling good. I'm looking for support groups/meetups in the Nottingham area.

I've got forms from the local NHS autism team for post diagnosis services. Other than those things I'm not sure what else to do.

I love music (listening and playing), cars (mostly pre 90 back to pre war, VSCC etc), and making/repairing anything... I feel happy in my shed! I also love martial arts but found the social side of it very difficult.

Thanks

• I did muay Thai for a short while and enjoyed it, but the structure of it wasn't in "my control" so I gave it up. I tend to go for hobbies I can do alone as and when I want to , anything constrained by other people, daylight, weather annoys me.

Big DIY jobs fit for me, I have that kind of aptitude, problem solving. I find if there's something I haven't ever done before I enjoy getting emersed in the learning, trying and eventually looking at what I achieved with a sense of pride. 

I did get a good level of training as an apprentice when I left school, I couldn't have stayed in academic setting which is a shame, had I been able to tackle the social side of it I'd have been brilliant, I got half decent GCSE grades even without any revision while being distracted and crippled by the social aspect of highschool, I can still hear and agree with the "we know he could do so much better if he applied himself to it" and I understand them saying it now all these years later! I was at times  argumentative, disruptive and petulant in their eyes. Often wonder if it was today's world how much the more accepting world we're in, plus a diagnosis, would have changed that .

As an apprentice we were taught  everything from woodwork to welding ,  electric/electronics, machining the works. Back in the day when an apprenticeship taught you a wide spectrum of skills. Ended up retraining and working in IT for the last 20 odd years which I seemed a natural fit for, it all makes sense to me. But having practical skills means the jobs at home are simple and I just need to add some learning to do specific things. It's a good outlet for creativity. 

• I've tried traditional jujitsu, BJJ and MMA. I struggled in jujitsu as it was always socially hard, BJJ was very much 'banter' based which isn't really me, but with MMA I was part of a small group which I could cope with. The group size stayed small for a few years and I got up to purple belt which I was very pleased with but then the group folded which was a shame! 

Doing some tinkering in the shed with some music on in the evening is great.

• Welcome aboard!

I tend to find happiness in fixing stuff, making things and being in the garage when things get too much. I find Big DIY projects are a breeze, but social situations can be a nightmare. 

I tried some martial arts when I was younger but like you found the social end of it too hard and the need to be there at specific times etc. same with any hobbies , I tend to find ones I can do solo, with some casual interaction at most, if there's a social aspect or groups/teams involved I'm usually put off.

It's funny, when people find I'm into something and try and get me involved. I know they're being nice but I run a mile most times and make a thousand excuses to swerve it.