10 year old boy - Stimming behaviour

I think may Son may be Autistic, the biggest worry I have is his stimming behavious which he has had since a baby.

I've looked up autistic stimming online and its very similar/repetitive when he gets excited. It is very noticable at public events, school plays, sports etc.

he is on a NHS waiting list to be assessed but high school l is looming and I am worried he might get bullied.

What is the general advice re stimming, should I talk to him about it?

He is a happy chap and currently oblivious to it.

• I only realized I was HF 6 months ago. Your words are identical to my explanation of my life to NAS92640. I just want to say, thank you. In helping them you also helped me because my life is literally the reality you stated openly.

I stopped stimming at 15ish and began cutting myself at 16, by 24 I had a clinically dead attempt to explain how bad it got. I hope you are doing better my friend, I am not.

I am so glad to be here with people like you. Thanks for telling the absolute truth. Slight smile

• preventing stimming can lead to self harm! It did for me, when I was young.

• It's awesome that you're both smart and loving enough as a parent to understand the discrepancies in your behavior and his.

Stimming is incredibly important to his survival. Take it from someone who stopped stimming at 16-18 (now 40.) When the doctor's gave me Ritalin for ADHD which I didn't have then called my stimming 'ticks' when it stopped is roughly within 8 months of when I started to self harm secretly and within 6 years of that, my first self-deletion attempt (resulted in clinical death for reference of severity.)

You are both intelligent enough and willing to pursue listening and understanding which most NTs by my experience my family are not.  That means he has the biggest advantage in life, an NT willing to listen.

Cultivate his stimming, let him express himself, explain to NT family and friends as much as you can about who he is and don't ever talk down about him when explaining Autism to others. He is different, not mentally ill or feeble. Most of the world's inventions come from people who are Autistic. I honestly dislike how NTs label us a "disorder" when they'd still be trying to discover fire in all likelihood, if one is to base the progress of mankind into NT and ND types.

You can be either his Achilles heal or diamond in the rough based on how you decide to undermine or support him. The fact that you're here asking these questions suggests the latter not the former.

• I think benefits could include accommodations and for him to understand himself better Have you discussed your thoughts with your son

• Thank you. Yes , I had similar thoughts.  I'm also trying to decide if a diagnosis is neccessary or what the real benefit would be for him. I think the stimming would be the only real noticable sign that he may be autistic or on the spectrum.

• Let him stim Preventing stims can lead to meltdowns burnout aet cetera Stimming has a reason Helps regulate If he gets bullied you can deal with that later but as of now he is happy and that's a good thing Don't make him believe there is something wrong with him and make him worry that others will see something wrong with him if that isn't what's happening right now

What is the general advice re stimming, should I talk to him about it?