Hi!

My name is Susie, my 8yr old daughter has autism and was diagnosed 2 years ago, she has 2 older brothers neither of which are on the spectrum.

I've been through it all with the heartbreak of diagnosis to eventually accepting the fact that my daughter is different, and loving her all the more for those differences. It's a hard road at times but I would not change her for the world.

My daughter is in a mainstream primary school but spends half her day in the learning centre (special needs school) where she needs one to one supervision all day. She has speech but it is limited and there's a lot of repeating whats been asked but not knowing how to answer, routines are extremely important as I'm sure every parent on here will be familiar with. She gets very anxious and upset and self harm at times (thankfully not as much as she used too). I'm looking forward to hearing other peoples experiences and joining in discussions, and also be interesting to hear from people with daughters on the spectrum or they themselves are on the spectrum.

Parents
  • Susie, how are you? So, your daughter was diagnosed with ASD at the age of 8 year old. My daughter is two years old right now. In her initial appointment, the child development doctor pretty much told me that she is having some ASD symptoms. I haven't got her diagnosis yet. But, I'm having a hard time accepting it. Is there any tips you can give me? She's my first child. You are very blessed that you have other kids that are not in the spectrum. I'm so terrified to have anymore children because of this incident.

• Susie, how are you? So, your daughter was diagnosed with ASD at the age of 8 year old. My daughter is two years old right now. In her initial appointment, the child development doctor pretty much told me that she is having some ASD symptoms. I haven't got her diagnosis yet. But, I'm having a hard time accepting it. Is there any tips you can give me? She's my first child. You are very blessed that you have other kids that are not in the spectrum. I'm so terrified to have anymore children because of this incident.

Children
No Data