Insomnia

Any tips for overcoming insomnia as an autistic person? I've had it for over a year now and I'd say it affects my life quite a bit. At the moment I have around 4 hours of sleep per night even though I spend 9 hours or so in bed. I tried CBT for insomnia a few months ago and every time I try and implement all the techniques, my anxiety levels raise as I become a bit obsessed with sticking to the exact sleep and wake time that I have set for myself. I then end up basing my self worth on if I achieve the set bedtime/ follow my exact bedtime routine. If I don't follow it exactly or go to bed/ wake up at the prescribed times, I end up feeling anxious as hell and like a failure. I also prevent myself from napping during the day (because that's what the CBT-I tells me to do) but I am currently severely burnt out so i don't know if this is the right thing to do...

Any other techniques for dealing with insomnia anyone has found? Feeling a bit stuck. 

Parents
  • Insomnia is a beast, and feeling like a failure because you can't stick to a strict sleep schedule only adds more stress, which is the last thing you need. Have you considered trying some relaxation techniques before bed? Maybe some light stretching, deep breathing exercises, or even a warm bath could help calm your mind and body. And as for napping during the day, listen to your body. If you're feeling burnt out, a short nap might actually do you some good. I also buy zopiclone online, personally, and I think it's important to explore various options and maybe even consult with a healthcare professional about it. Prioritize your well-being without adding extra pressure!

• I take the Z sleeping tablets and find them great, they help lower your body temperature to a level where sleep is more likely to occur.

I've read about all this sleep hygene stuff and it sounds like something else created by larks to torture owls. I naturally go to sleep in the small hours and wake mid morning, I know I'm lucky that I don't have to work and keep office hours. Isn't having nothing to distract you in the room scary?

• I take the Z sleeping tablets and find them great, they help lower your body temperature to a level where sleep is more likely to occur.

I've read about all this sleep hygene stuff and it sounds like something else created by larks to torture owls. I naturally go to sleep in the small hours and wake mid morning, I know I'm lucky that I don't have to work and keep office hours. Isn't having nothing to distract you in the room scary?

Children
No Data