Hello folks

Hello there, I'm Sheep, or [SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK].

I've been diagnosed with Autism—well, the book Unmasking Autism capitalizes the A in it, so I suppose that's grammatically correct—a year ago. Maybe ADHD too, but that's a story for another time. Something, something, a big can of worms... But anyways, I couldn't really find an Autistic community near where I live, and the ones I could find are in Bangkok. That wouldn't have been a problem if I was a few hundred something kilometers away from it. And then there's the issue with language barriers—I mean, I could speak Thai, but I've forgotten most of it a few years back and pretty much am stuck in a basic level. Yes, I know this site is British. That book I've mentioned earlier made it clear enough for me. I did have a bit of self-discovery for a couple of months after the diagnosis, and like most of my fixations, it seemed to get forgotten. No, it didn't really change my life—no one got to know about it, anyway.

Right, so, interests. Let's see... SIGNALIS, Metallica, RWBY, novels (I really loved The Sum of All Fears), writing, movies (Die Hard is an excellent movie), PersonaDeus Ex, bass/guitar-playing... uh... whatever Wikipedia article my brain settles on. It's that bad, trust me. Oh, and excuse the pretty long block of text earlier. Funny how I'm a whole lot more focused on writing that instead of working on my writing projects. Huh. Oh, almost forgot: I quite like Fire Emblem: Fates, too! No, I haven't played the other ones. Maybe I'll pick that up again someday.

But anyways, I hope this'll be a pretty neat community, the fact that I'm a quarter a world away be damned.

...Do you know that Les Claypool almost got into Metallica?

Parents
  • Hi there are some Autistic online meetings zoom etc that are international and some that accept others from other countries if you are interested. I have been on some and liked them. Will give you info if you want. 

• I'd love to hop on Zoom meetings, but I'm quite a bit deterred over at the fact that's it's... well... Zoom, and I'm not very much interested in turning on my computer/phone camera or my microphone in those meetings just so I could answer questions.

• I do a ZOOM based film night currenlty, (and have been all this year) specifically with the idea that people can attend with camera and mic turned off (because it's a film!) and those who wish to speak, may afterwards or even in the breaks (every 42 minutes of course) turn on their mics and have at it.

Those who wish to "earwig" can stick around until they get bored or the wish to join in a conversation overwhelms them and do that and those who were just there for the film can leave. 

If you have a webcam on a wire, then sharing video can consist (and often does for me) of simply pointing it at something interesting to look at. For example: Keen eyes will note that the monitor on the RHS is displaying the image as it was taken which includes itself...

I also note the prop still holding up the ceiling panel, which reminds me I really ought to put those last screws in.

Needless to say I'll be really keen to hear from anyone who can name the manufacturer of any one of the gear shown in the picture...

• I do a ZOOM based film night currenlty, (and have been all this year) specifically with the idea that people can attend with camera and mic turned off (because it's a film!) and those who wish to speak, may afterwards or even in the breaks (every 42 minutes of course) turn on their mics and have at it.

Those who wish to "earwig" can stick around until they get bored or the wish to join in a conversation overwhelms them and do that and those who were just there for the film can leave. 

If you have a webcam on a wire, then sharing video can consist (and often does for me) of simply pointing it at something interesting to look at. For example: Keen eyes will note that the monitor on the RHS is displaying the image as it was taken which includes itself...

I also note the prop still holding up the ceiling panel, which reminds me I really ought to put those last screws in.

Needless to say I'll be really keen to hear from anyone who can name the manufacturer of any one of the gear shown in the picture...

Children
  • I'm not so sure about that. Must be a holdover from being on Discord for so long.

• ...Huh. It might be time for to ditch Discord and move onto Zoom. /j

This is unrelated but you are the only person here ive seen use tone indicators. I wonder if people in the UK never heard of them since we both arent in UK

• A spinoff from film night, a boxed set of ronnie barkers open all hours which me and a friend are chewing through as part of our usual 11:00pm (approximately) daily meeting.

And good effort identifying the junk. (it's all obscure as it comes for the vast majority of people) and the deep faced display which does look a bit mac-like is just a TV. display for the (unused) security DVR.

I've had misgivings about the power consumption which I've just calculated to cost in the region of £200 a year to operate, before I power any cameras or IR illuminators. My notice on the back window warning of the danger to life due to electrical, chemical and radiological hazards which includes a number for professional responders to call before entering, seems to be a reasonable deterrent however.

And it also gives me some legal top cover if someone does break in and hurt themselves on something that is not normally found in a domestic house as I gave a fair warning. It's only fair after all, who else has leyden jars in casual use in their home? IN fairness it has to be safe enough for us and our cats, but burgalars open things which cats do not, and my long suffering partner would not, so I do need to cover my ass.

• ...Huh. It might be time for to ditch Discord and move onto Zoom. /j

Also, no, I couldn't really name any of the manufacturers of the gear in that picture. Well, aside from what I think is probably a Macintosh behind the webcam-display. It's too blurry for me to make out, I'm afraid, although I'm quite interested about the CD-cases(?) in the bottom left corner.