New and looking for advice

Hello everyone. I want my daughter who is 19 years old to be tested for autism. It is something that she also wants as she wants answers to why she is the way she is. I’m presuming it is a long process with the NHS. I just wondered if anyone could share their experience with the diagnosis process and how you got it. NHS or private? Thank you for your time Slight smile

Parents
  • I paid for private assessments for myself and my then 19 year old daughter with Psychiatry UK (https://psychiatry-uk.com/). We both had a good experience with them. You do not need a GP referral for a private assessment. If you want to go down the NHS or 'Right to Choose' routes then I would recommend getting together plenty of evidence before asking for a referral, lots of history of autism traits going back to early childhood. Also get your daughter to take some online autism tests. AQ10 and AQ50 (sometimes called just 'AQ') are the most commonly used by clinicians in this country, but the RAADS-R is the most definitive. They can be found here: embrace-autism.com/.../
    If she scores in the autism range, it will give you more ammunition to back up your request for a referral..

• I paid for private assessments for myself and my then 19 year old daughter with Psychiatry UK (https://psychiatry-uk.com/). We both had a good experience with them. You do not need a GP referral for a private assessment. If you want to go down the NHS or 'Right to Choose' routes then I would recommend getting together plenty of evidence before asking for a referral, lots of history of autism traits going back to early childhood. Also get your daughter to take some online autism tests. AQ10 and AQ50 (sometimes called just 'AQ') are the most commonly used by clinicians in this country, but the RAADS-R is the most definitive. They can be found here: embrace-autism.com/.../
    If she scores in the autism range, it will give you more ammunition to back up your request for a referral..

Children
No Data