Hello

Hi,

I hope I'm okay posting as I don't actually have a diagnosis, but I suspect I have ASD and have booked a GP appointment to discuss this.

I'm a 30 year old female, and have always struggled with things but have always been able to hide it. Since I had children (a 2 year old and an 8 week old), however, i've struggled much more to the point that my husband has noticed.

I don't have anyone to really talk to about my suspicions as I know that my family members will just dismiss it. I'm hoping that this community might help with that.

Parents
  • Most people who research autism and feel that they fit the bill, are autistic. Not many non-autistics ever feel that they might be, it just doesn't occur to them. So, if you feel that a diagnosis would be useful to you, please do not be put off seeking one. Also many autistics have sleep problems and having a small child and a baby is going to make sleep even more problematic than it would be for an allistic mother. This will tend to erode the masking abilities that you have perfected over the years and leave you extremely exhausted.

• Most people who research autism and feel that they fit the bill, are autistic. Not many non-autistics ever feel that they might be, it just doesn't occur to them. So, if you feel that a diagnosis would be useful to you, please do not be put off seeking one. Also many autistics have sleep problems and having a small child and a baby is going to make sleep even more problematic than it would be for an allistic mother. This will tend to erode the masking abilities that you have perfected over the years and leave you extremely exhausted.

Children