Hi everyone!

I'm a 53 year old Musician/music lover from the South of Scotland hoping to meet others in the same boat as myself who can help me learn more about autism and whether I'm an as yet undiagnosed long term member of this wonderfully unique and exclusive club.  

Parents
  • Hi 

I'm a recently diagnosed 52 year old.
    Still trying to get head around the idea of being autistic. Having shifts in mood about the whole thing.
    Have been off work since diagnosed - this is now my 3rd week off, hoping to return next week.

WELCOME!

Gary

• Thanks. How were you diagnosed?

• Not sure exactly what you mean by "how were you diagnosed", but I'll try to answer your question.

I was contacted by our local NHS Mental Health Centre around a week before my assessment.
    The assessment was with a psychiatrist and took 2.5 hours, consisting of the following 

• 1 hour general discussion about me
    • 1 hour "ADOS" tasks which is more of a practical session
    • Diagnosis given
    • 30 minute post diagnosis discussion

Hope that helps  Slight smile

• Forgive me GPK26 but whenever someone asks why I want to be assessed for autism I feel frustrated beyond belief. Whilst a diagnosis of Autism will no doubt prove challenging it would go a long way in explaining why life has been so difficult and work and human relationships so extraordinarily challenging to maintain. It feels like something I "have" to do not something I "want" to do.    

• Forgive me GPK26 but whenever someone asks why I want to be assessed for autism I feel frustrated beyond belief. Whilst a diagnosis of Autism will no doubt prove challenging it would go a long way in explaining why life has been so difficult and work and human relationships so extraordinarily challenging to maintain. It feels like something I "have" to do not something I "want" to do.    

Children
No Data