GP refused to refer my child?

I have got a 30 month old with speech delay, who doesnt respond to her name. Im obviously very concerned about autism as she has other signs to.

I sent a written request asking my GP to refer for autism assesment and was told it can be done by HV only so didnt give me an appt 

Now Im a medical doctor myself but work in a hospital and with adults pt only but Im sure GPs are able to make a referral, hence Im looking for rcgp or some official guideline, so I can educate my GP when I speak to her next.

If Im wrong please advise what can I do and how do I go forward. Its affecting me a lot mentally as I feel like Im failing my child by not advocating for her needs.

Parents
  • I believe your GP is right, that is the responsibility of health visitors before the age of 5. My cousin has a 3 year old daughter who has been referred after an extra health visitor review. Does your child go to nursery? They can sometimes help with the process as well especially if they are Ofsted registered with a SENDCO. I also know a couple of kids who were referred by their schools. GPs are the gatekeepers of adult referrals

• I believe your GP is right, that is the responsibility of health visitors before the age of 5. My cousin has a 3 year old daughter who has been referred after an extra health visitor review. Does your child go to nursery? They can sometimes help with the process as well especially if they are Ofsted registered with a SENDCO. I also know a couple of kids who were referred by their schools. GPs are the gatekeepers of adult referrals

Children
No Data