Introduction

Hi im 34 years old mum of one i went to the gp with questions on the way i am and have been from a child thinking along the lines possible adhd! 

Im epileptic and at young age of 15/16 was giving anti depressants which i was unsure why as i didnt feel depressed as such it was more of i felt weird and different when looking at my peirs and freinds.

I have always struggles with sounds noise smell textures and always struggled with processing my enotions, there for i took it upon myself ti seek advice more than anything i went to see somebody that was referd by my GP and on assesments there very sure i have autisum and as a female been masking this( as the world says thats what females do)

My little boy is spd ptui and other learning difficulties also other things being assesed i was wondering if there is any parents out there that have been dignosed/ or being that have children that are also the same have any advice on how to cope with both at same time thank yous L

Parents
  • Me and my son are both autistic with ADHD but tbh to say how we "coped" doesn't feel like the right word for it because to me my son is normal the apple didn't fall far from the tree and has a lot of similar experiences and traits to me so (once I realised he was also like me and threw teh neurotypical parenting books out the window) it was just a case of applying what I had learned how to deal with things through my own experience onto another person. Which I could do because I was diagnosed as autistic decades ago so even when I was in some phases of self denial it wasn't this great and wholly unknown mystery what I was going through and why. But unfortnuately if you haven't had the same decades of knowing how to tackle your own issues first and have only been diagnosesed recently yourself I suspect you can't fall back on that like I did. Which is a shame because I have often heard people say it is a struggle to parent their autistic children but actually once I realised mine was autistic like me it became the easiest thing in the world, all the anxiety and sensory triggers revealed themself like magic because I could just get on with it on an instinctive level instead.
    But hopefully someone else here will have more information you can use. Good luck.

• Me and my son are both autistic with ADHD but tbh to say how we "coped" doesn't feel like the right word for it because to me my son is normal the apple didn't fall far from the tree and has a lot of similar experiences and traits to me so (once I realised he was also like me and threw teh neurotypical parenting books out the window) it was just a case of applying what I had learned how to deal with things through my own experience onto another person. Which I could do because I was diagnosed as autistic decades ago so even when I was in some phases of self denial it wasn't this great and wholly unknown mystery what I was going through and why. But unfortnuately if you haven't had the same decades of knowing how to tackle your own issues first and have only been diagnosesed recently yourself I suspect you can't fall back on that like I did. Which is a shame because I have often heard people say it is a struggle to parent their autistic children but actually once I realised mine was autistic like me it became the easiest thing in the world, all the anxiety and sensory triggers revealed themself like magic because I could just get on with it on an instinctive level instead.
    But hopefully someone else here will have more information you can use. Good luck.

Children
No Data