new comer

good evening,

my now 10 year old was recently diagnosed with asd and tics, now i am new to this and have no idea how to handle this.

yes i have dealt with her 'mary moments' ( this is what i call it) but its mainly at home she has them which i believe is called masking. but how do i deal with it in public or like at the cinema. weve had comments before made at us for taking her to a cinema where she starts moving after a hour or so.

can anyone please help with tips and advices much appreicated 

• I wish I could tell you how to grow a thicker skin. I've never been able to myself! Maybe there's a phrase you can learn to repeat when people are being judgy gits? 

For the specific example of cinema, many cinemas now have Autism friendly screenings, and supermarkets have designated quiet times if you can't avoid going totally, you would have to look in your local area for more information on those. Also have a look on FB for local autism groups for your daughter and for you as a parent, and try to find ones that are run by autistics, because most of the ones on FB that are run by NT's come with a huge amount of judgement over behaviours. 

I would recommend going on BBC iplayer and searching for autism. The Chris Packham and the Christine McGuinness documentaries are very good from the point of view of an autistic adult and might help you understand your daughter's struggles a bit more. 

Hoping this will bump up your responses too :) 

Good luck