45 Years, just got my diagnosis today and I am actually devastated..

So I had the final part of my assessment today, and was told that I meet the criteria for diagnosis of ASD and displayed many of the traits, apparently an easy diagnosis.

This has come as a shock, and you may ask why I ended up in this position in the first place, the answer to which is rather simple, to appease others who thought I should.

I am not even sure why I have turned to this forum to vent this either, I guess that it is probably due to my slightly stoic reaction to it with my family, as I did not want them to worry about my mental health.

I knew I was different growing up and into my adult life, but never wanted my behaviour to be pathologized, as I think we are too quick to.. anyway it turns out I know now why, but I truly don't want it, I have spent so much time and expended so much energy trying to be normal, and for what....

Anyway, I really would to hear from anyone who went through this same journey so I can see some light at the end of this tunnel.

Thanks

B

Parents
  • I got my diagnosis at the age of 52 just a few months ago. My first reaction was grief, for the life I might have had if I’d received help when I was younger. Then I busily set about trying to create mitigations for my autistic challenges, now that I understand their cause. But now I feel rather hopeless about it all.

The single biggest problem autism has caused me is that I am all alone in the world and I am now having to come to terms with that never changing. I don’t know if I can do that.

• The single biggest problem autism has caused me is that I am all alone in the world and I am now having to come to terms with that never changing. I don’t know if I can do that.

Can you tell us why you feel this way?

Is it a relationship sort of being alone, lacking friends or just not being able to tolerate or connect to others?

All these things can change but all require effort and hope.

• The single biggest problem autism has caused me is that I am all alone in the world and I am now having to come to terms with that never changing. I don’t know if I can do that.

Can you tell us why you feel this way?

Is it a relationship sort of being alone, lacking friends or just not being able to tolerate or connect to others?

All these things can change but all require effort and hope.

Children