45 Years, just got my diagnosis today and I am actually devastated..

So I had the final part of my assessment today, and was told that I meet the criteria for diagnosis of ASD and displayed many of the traits, apparently an easy diagnosis.

This has come as a shock, and you may ask why I ended up in this position in the first place, the answer to which is rather simple, to appease others who thought I should.

I am not even sure why I have turned to this forum to vent this either, I guess that it is probably due to my slightly stoic reaction to it with my family, as I did not want them to worry about my mental health.

I knew I was different growing up and into my adult life, but never wanted my behaviour to be pathologized, as I think we are too quick to.. anyway it turns out I know now why, but I truly don't want it, I have spent so much time and expended so much energy trying to be normal, and for what....

Anyway, I really would to hear from anyone who went through this same journey so I can see some light at the end of this tunnel.

Thanks

B

Parents
  • Hi B, 

Thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear that the new diagnosis has caused you to feel stressed. 

I was diagnosed at 35 (recently) and initially I felt elated, because I finally had 'an answer' to why I am like *this* but over the days following I did start to feel quite blue about everything and began to ruminate on the various 'what ifs'. 

I understand your reticence to pathologize behaviours but maybe you don't have to look at it that way, this is just a new side to the parson you have already known all this time. You don't even really have to pay much attention/disclose your diagnosis too much if you don't feel like it - it's totally your choice.

It makes me a little bit sad that you only undertook the process because of other people pressuring you to do so. I hope they are at least appeased that it is done now. 

I hope you can find some light in your tunnel - we're all here to talk if you need us :) 

• Hi B, 

Thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear that the new diagnosis has caused you to feel stressed. 

I was diagnosed at 35 (recently) and initially I felt elated, because I finally had 'an answer' to why I am like *this* but over the days following I did start to feel quite blue about everything and began to ruminate on the various 'what ifs'. 

I understand your reticence to pathologize behaviours but maybe you don't have to look at it that way, this is just a new side to the parson you have already known all this time. You don't even really have to pay much attention/disclose your diagnosis too much if you don't feel like it - it's totally your choice.

It makes me a little bit sad that you only undertook the process because of other people pressuring you to do so. I hope they are at least appeased that it is done now. 

I hope you can find some light in your tunnel - we're all here to talk if you need us :) 

Children
  • but never wanted my behaviour to be pathologized, as I think we are too quick to..

This was absolutely my feelings at 45 yrs old.............just before I had a mega autistic burnout that very nearly destroyed me, the lives of those around me and the potential for any viable future.

I then spent a VERY expensive and upsetting period NEEDING to pathologise what the bloodyhell had just happened to me when I was at the lowest point in my life and least able to do so.  It was a catastrophic mess BjornUK78 !

Whilst you may be feeling a little hollow right now.......I think you dodged a bullet !!  Now all you need to face is what you have described above in your VERY resonant opening remarks above.

we're all here to talk if you need us

Yes we are.