Homesickness

Hi I’ve just started University and I’m really struggling to cope. I don’t know what to do because I’ve already paid for the year and need a degree to go into the career that I want. I’m not sure what to do now as I’ve done everything I can think of to help myself settle (e.g. putting up family photos and distracting myself) but none of it is really working. I just want to call my Mum and beg to come home. I really miss her and my Grandparents and my Dog. I struggle to cope with change at the best of times and I think this may be far too much for me to cope with. I have yet to go through a full day without crying and I don’t think I can take much more of this. The people from the University have been really kind and understanding and have been trying to help but I just want my family. I’m not sure where I should go from here does anyone have any advice?

Parents
  • First of congratulations on making it to university.

Many of us have difficulty with a simple change of routine nevermind the wholesale life shift that you are experiencing.

Give yourself time to adjust to your new routine and surroundings. Your family is still there if you need them, a reassuring voice at the other end of the phone can do wonders. 

You'll hopefully find friends and allies that'll stay with you and support you through the course and maybe for the rest of your life.

There are probably many others in a similar boat, many will be NT and are just missing there own routine and family.

Good luck , hopefully things will settle down soon. Universities do have many different student support systems if you need assistance.

Take care 

• First of congratulations on making it to university.

Many of us have difficulty with a simple change of routine nevermind the wholesale life shift that you are experiencing.

Give yourself time to adjust to your new routine and surroundings. Your family is still there if you need them, a reassuring voice at the other end of the phone can do wonders. 

You'll hopefully find friends and allies that'll stay with you and support you through the course and maybe for the rest of your life.

There are probably many others in a similar boat, many will be NT and are just missing there own routine and family.

Good luck , hopefully things will settle down soon. Universities do have many different student support systems if you need assistance.

Take care 

Children
No Data