hello from yorkshire

Hi,

I'm Ian and I am 53. I was diagnosed with ADHD last year.

Since then I've been looking at some of the stuff I do that are classed as neurodivergent traits.

I see a lot of these in my son who is trans and has been struggling with school and self harm.

As a result and thanks to our fantastic GP he has been referred for an autism assessment.

The diagnostic pathway for ADHD and Autism is frankly a mess where we live (North Yorkshire). Adults are currently being directed to an online "profiler" which then results in 90% of users being given "helpful" advice like go for a long walk or try using a planner.

For children ADHD comes under the local CAMHS and autism is done by a separate organisation and is about to be passed onto a new organisation.

I'm involved a little with York disability rights forum where we have recently crowdfunded to take legal action over the use of the profiler which breaks the NHS constitution amongst other things.

My son has just gone into year 10 and things at school have recently got much worse to a point where we might have to withdraw him and look at alternative provision.

I'd be interested to make contact with any parents who are on a similar journey with school stuff. Also any parents in North Yorkshire who might want to meet up and chat and share experiences.

Parents Reply Children
No Data