How do I get an autism assessment?

Hi I'm 36 and recently had realisation through failed relationships and many other traits that I believe I'm autistic.

Yesterday I went to my GP and saw the actual Doctor and asked for a referral for an autism assessment and I explained why. 

The doctor clicked around on his computer for 15 mins whilst I'm sat Infront of him twiddling my thumbs and in the end he wrote a website down for me to visit and packed me off.

The website goes to a crisis team for mental health! I do not struggle with mental health, I do not have suicidal thoughts, or have depression or anything like that. I'm happy. I just think I'm autistic that's all.

The GP clearly had no idea how to refer me. 

Should the GP refer me or can I self refer for an assessment? 

I live in Kirklees district. 

Any help would be so much appreciated, thank you. 

Parents
  • Hi, sorry you were treated so poorly, unfortunately with GP’s it’s a bit of a lottery. I would change GP and try again. So many autistic people get pushed down the route of,” you’re just depressed, here’s some antidepressants.” Depression often is a result of struggling with autism.

You have done all the online tests, go back armed with the results and as Dawn said, a list of all the reasons why you may struggle in different areas. Good luck.

• Hi, sorry you were treated so poorly, unfortunately with GP’s it’s a bit of a lottery. I would change GP and try again. So many autistic people get pushed down the route of,” you’re just depressed, here’s some antidepressants.” Depression often is a result of struggling with autism.

You have done all the online tests, go back armed with the results and as Dawn said, a list of all the reasons why you may struggle in different areas. Good luck.

Children
No Data