How do I get an autism assessment?

Hi I'm 36 and recently had realisation through failed relationships and many other traits that I believe I'm autistic.

Yesterday I went to my GP and saw the actual Doctor and asked for a referral for an autism assessment and I explained why. 

The doctor clicked around on his computer for 15 mins whilst I'm sat Infront of him twiddling my thumbs and in the end he wrote a website down for me to visit and packed me off.

The website goes to a crisis team for mental health! I do not struggle with mental health, I do not have suicidal thoughts, or have depression or anything like that. I'm happy. I just think I'm autistic that's all.

The GP clearly had no idea how to refer me. 

Should the GP refer me or can I self refer for an assessment? 

I live in Kirklees district. 

Any help would be so much appreciated, thank you. 

Parents
  • Good advice by Dawn.

I would also add that if you do try again with a GP it might help to go armed with the current Nice guidelines: 

• For adults with possible autism who do not have a moderate or severe learning disability, consider using the Autism-Spectrum Quotient – 10 items (AQ-10). (If a person has reading difficulties, read out the AQ-10.) If a person scores 6 or above on the AQ-10, or autism is suspected based on clinical judgement (taking into account any past history provided by an informant), offer a comprehensive assessment for autism.

It might also help if you can think of some real life examples to support the answers you have provided in the online tests.

• Good advice by Dawn.

I would also add that if you do try again with a GP it might help to go armed with the current Nice guidelines: 

• For adults with possible autism who do not have a moderate or severe learning disability, consider using the Autism-Spectrum Quotient – 10 items (AQ-10). (If a person has reading difficulties, read out the AQ-10.) If a person scores 6 or above on the AQ-10, or autism is suspected based on clinical judgement (taking into account any past history provided by an informant), offer a comprehensive assessment for autism.

It might also help if you can think of some real life examples to support the answers you have provided in the online tests.

Children
No Data