Newly diagnosed

Hello,

just a quick introduction, I am a 72 years old woman who was diagnosed on 22/8/2023 almost two weeks ago. Hopefully this will be the best decision that I have made in a very long, long time to have an ASD test.

My husband died almost eight years ago and I have struggled so much since. I have moved home five times and struggled with absolutely everything without his support and although, he and I knew that I was “autistic” life was peaceful and good when he was alive. In fact, I didn’t realise how much help and support he gave me, he was just so good at recognising the pointers.

I do not have my report and follow up yet, that should be in the next few day but I do have four sessions booked with a psychologist so, hopefully I will start to get the help needed to be able to live independently.

Best wishes to all, Yvonne

Parents
  • Hi Yvonne

Congratulations on getting your diagnosis :)

I'm  also recently diagnosed age 62 but I had no idea why I was different until my daughter was diagnosed last year. Although it's a relief to start understanding who I am I've also found myself feeling sad for the life I might have had if I'd been aware and supported when I was younger. I'm mostly relieved to know why I've struggled so much all my life.

Like you I also lost my husband 8 years ago. Although his gregarious bubbly nature used to wear me out (and I never understood why) I did manage to carve out a really good  life with him. I miss his support and I find lots of things very difficult. My life is quiet and undemanding but I still do feel like an idiot when I fail to cope with situations that others seem to have no difficulties with. I try to remind myself that my brain just works a little differently but's not easy to cut myself some slack after a lifetime of feeling out of step with the world 

Inula

• Hi Yvonne

Congratulations on getting your diagnosis :)

I'm  also recently diagnosed age 62 but I had no idea why I was different until my daughter was diagnosed last year. Although it's a relief to start understanding who I am I've also found myself feeling sad for the life I might have had if I'd been aware and supported when I was younger. I'm mostly relieved to know why I've struggled so much all my life.

Like you I also lost my husband 8 years ago. Although his gregarious bubbly nature used to wear me out (and I never understood why) I did manage to carve out a really good  life with him. I miss his support and I find lots of things very difficult. My life is quiet and undemanding but I still do feel like an idiot when I fail to cope with situations that others seem to have no difficulties with. I try to remind myself that my brain just works a little differently but's not easy to cut myself some slack after a lifetime of feeling out of step with the world 

Inula

Children
No Data