cry for help

Hi all,

My sister is in some desperate need of some help, but feels let down everywhere she turns. Madison (my niece) she is 10 yrs old and severely autistic. She is non verbal and has become very violent. She lashes out in a rage when she isn't happy or getting her way and has hurt my sister, my other niece and innocent members of the public by kicking and punching. She is so incredibly strong and uses all of her strength when my sister tries to restrain her and calm her down. She is so dependant on a device of some kind to entertain Madison - and when that goes wrong the whole world will know - she tenses up, screams hits herself and others and it can take a long time to bring her down from this heightened state. My sister has pretty much become a recluse as Madison is so unpredictable and doesn't want anyone else being hurt. Its a miserable existence as Madison also doesn't sleep and isn't toilet trained. My sister is torn between looking after a severely disabled child but also raising a neurotypical child who wants to go out and enjoy the summer holidays. Her support around her is really poor - there is no respite for her and she has no support from CAMS or her social worker. It seems that Madison needs medicating to control these violent mood swings - but the gp says no... easy for them when they are not living it!

If anyone else has bene through a similar situation or can offer some advice - I'd really appreciate it, as I am really worried about my sisters mental wellbeing 

Parents Reply Children
No Data