Hello :–)

Hello, my name is Rayne. I was recently diagnosed as autistic level three.

It's answered many questions for me and for my parents, and so I thought it would be a good idea to familiarise myself with an online community.

I feel free and like a new brilliant chapter of my life has opened. It's a good feeling, unlike any other I've experienced before.

I will customise my profile later on. For now I'm going to go for a walk. See you later!

Parents
  • Welcome to the community Rayne Relaxed

You mentioned the autism level diagnosis you received. I'm assuming that was either private diagnosis or you aren't in the UK? As far as I know the NHS diagnostic process doesn't use the DSM-5 Levels. I know I wasn't given a level.

One thing that most autistic adults agree on is that there isn't any support available. Yet according to the DSM-5 criteria all three levels require support, to varying degrees:

Level 1 ‘Requiring support’

Level 2 ‘Requiring substantial support’

Level 3 ‘Requiring very substantial support’

For anyone unfamiliar with the levels, there is a summary table with more detail here:

https://embrace-autism.com/decoding-autism-in-the-dsm-5/

I hope you don't mind me asking but is your level 3 diagnosis the magic key to accessing support for adults that we are generally told doesn't exist?

• Welcome to the community Rayne Relaxed

You mentioned the autism level diagnosis you received. I'm assuming that was either private diagnosis or you aren't in the UK? As far as I know the NHS diagnostic process doesn't use the DSM-5 Levels. I know I wasn't given a level.

One thing that most autistic adults agree on is that there isn't any support available. Yet according to the DSM-5 criteria all three levels require support, to varying degrees:

Level 1 ‘Requiring support’

Level 2 ‘Requiring substantial support’

Level 3 ‘Requiring very substantial support’

For anyone unfamiliar with the levels, there is a summary table with more detail here:

https://embrace-autism.com/decoding-autism-in-the-dsm-5/

I hope you don't mind me asking but is your level 3 diagnosis the magic key to accessing support for adults that we are generally told doesn't exist?

Children
  • I hope you don't mind me asking but is your level 3 diagnosis the magic key to accessing support for adults that we are generally told doesn't exist?

Hello,

Yes it could be actually as I do get more than enough support for my autism. Mostly my main difficulties are with mobility and verbal communication, which I don't think the majority suffer from. I do get support for these and have a special nurse who assists me for my mobility. I had a speech therapist at one point but sadly there wasn't a lot she could do.

But being supported emotionally isn't something I get professionally other than my nurse.

I hope this helps. Any questions at all please feel free to ask I'll help if I can.