Abandoned and Despondent

Hello All. 

This is my first post so please be kind. 

I 46 year's old, and I was diagnosed with Autism in January this year, and I am still seeking help and support from the NHS. 

I saw my Doctor for help, and they referred me to Talking Therapies. I 'talked' to Talking Therapies but received a letter saying that they cannot help me, and to try this website included in the letter . The website is for a course about Autism in another town - which is not what I'm looking for. Are they crazy? They want me to drive to a different town, and sit in a room full of people for 6 weeks to learn about Autism! Isn't that just going to make my anxieties much, much worse? 

As you may imagine, I feel abandoned, and despondent, as it took me 5 months to get an appointment with my Dr. 

I just feel as though I need guidance and support. I've been trying to survive as and Autistic person living in an non Autistic world for 46 year's - that's a lot of masking, and I'm completely exhausted. 

I'm not asking for special treatment, just a little compassion and support. 

Thank you for reading my post. 

Faye

Parents
  • Hi thanks for posting! WELCOME! I promise this is a really nice place to be. 

I haven't had any advice from medical professionals either. The doctor who diagnosed me said he will send a report to my GP and myself in 2-3 weeks, and they would include some websites on there I can check out, but I have probably found them all already. 

I've been trying to survive as and Autistic person living in an non Autistic world for 46 year's - that's a lot of masking, and I'm completely exhausted. 

I feel this in my bones. I'm over a decade younger than you so I haven't had to 'pretend' for anything like as long, but I feel it. I am exhausted too. I have a lot of mental health problems and it is hard now, with the knowledge that I'm autistic, to know which are genuine and which are a symptom of trying to live in a world that isn't designed for me. 

If you work, can you get some special considerations? I personally have had to move to 100% home working because the office is too much for me and also recently have moved to part time work, due to becoming seriously burned out. 

Here to listen/read/chat any time :)

• Hi thanks for posting! WELCOME! I promise this is a really nice place to be. 

I haven't had any advice from medical professionals either. The doctor who diagnosed me said he will send a report to my GP and myself in 2-3 weeks, and they would include some websites on there I can check out, but I have probably found them all already. 

I've been trying to survive as and Autistic person living in an non Autistic world for 46 year's - that's a lot of masking, and I'm completely exhausted. 

I feel this in my bones. I'm over a decade younger than you so I haven't had to 'pretend' for anything like as long, but I feel it. I am exhausted too. I have a lot of mental health problems and it is hard now, with the knowledge that I'm autistic, to know which are genuine and which are a symptom of trying to live in a world that isn't designed for me. 

If you work, can you get some special considerations? I personally have had to move to 100% home working because the office is too much for me and also recently have moved to part time work, due to becoming seriously burned out. 

Here to listen/read/chat any time :)

Children
No Data