Step daughter money

Hi , my husband pays child maintenance of £85 a week to his ex partner , she also gets £24 a week child benefit , also the disability allowance for their daughter , and extra help from HSF a month and works full time as a nurse  . My husbands daughter who is autistic has said she never has anything , when she asks her mom if she can buy some food / snacks / things for art and school etc her mom says she can’t afford it . Can my husband talk open and honestly about money to his daughter and explain that she does have money and she shouldn’t be going without ? What are our rights ? Is being honest the best policy about this ? Because she is worrying that her mom doesn’t have any money and she said she can’t ask for anything because it’s always the same answer . 

Parents
  • I'm not aware of any law that would stop you telling your daughter how much you pay her mother in child support. but I'm not a lawyer. 

• Peter is right - this is not protected information.

What we don't know is what the costs of living are for them - with the spike in costs of everything, especially utility bills and rents, then it is possible the money is going on these rather than being disposable income.

It may be your husband could pay a small personal allowance to her directly to make sure she has a little spending money for treats that is outside th econtrol of her mother.

• Peter is right - this is not protected information.

What we don't know is what the costs of living are for them - with the spike in costs of everything, especially utility bills and rents, then it is possible the money is going on these rather than being disposable income.

It may be your husband could pay a small personal allowance to her directly to make sure she has a little spending money for treats that is outside th econtrol of her mother.

Children
No Data