In my 50s

I’m 51 next month and it has took me till now to realise that I am different, my daughter who is 20 has been diagnosed with autism and I have the same traits as her, I have struggled all my life with the way I am, I may come across as rude sometimes and I have no friends because people don’t get on with me. I am going to the doctors to ask for a referral, am I doing the right thing or should I leave it alone at this late stage.

Parents
  • Same here. I did go to my GP, as he seems non-threatening it helped. I was afraid he would dismiss the idea anyway. However he agreed that I was autistic and referred me for an assessment. It wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. I had already recently concluded that I was, from all the evidence that I added up. However I want a formal assessment because I think I deserve it. It's taken a long time and a lot of struggle to get to this point. 

I hope you get a referral Slight smile

• Same here. I did go to my GP, as he seems non-threatening it helped. I was afraid he would dismiss the idea anyway. However he agreed that I was autistic and referred me for an assessment. It wasn't as bad as I feared it would be. I had already recently concluded that I was, from all the evidence that I added up. However I want a formal assessment because I think I deserve it. It's taken a long time and a lot of struggle to get to this point. 

I hope you get a referral Slight smile

Children