In my 50s

I’m 51 next month and it has took me till now to realise that I am different, my daughter who is 20 has been diagnosed with autism and I have the same traits as her, I have struggled all my life with the way I am, I may come across as rude sometimes and I have no friends because people don’t get on with me. I am going to the doctors to ask for a referral, am I doing the right thing or should I leave it alone at this late stage.

Parents
  • Hi, I was 54 when I approached my GP, probably the same as many my age, always a loner, struggle with any social interaction, love routine and find the whole world bewildering. I was told my wait for an assessment will be 2 years, 10 months left now. The time has gone very quickly and I probably need that amount of time to process 50+ years of being different. It’s not until you start unraveling it all that you realise just how different you are, slowly the mask is slipping.

• Hi, I was 54 when I approached my GP, probably the same as many my age, always a loner, struggle with any social interaction, love routine and find the whole world bewildering. I was told my wait for an assessment will be 2 years, 10 months left now. The time has gone very quickly and I probably need that amount of time to process 50+ years of being different. It’s not until you start unraveling it all that you realise just how different you are, slowly the mask is slipping.

Children