Help/Advice needed

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some advice from some of you, especially if you were diagnosed as an adult.

Just want to give a bit of background as to why I'm here.

I'm a 37 year old man who has never really though about Autism before. I've always felt "different" to others, but I never really thought of that as Autism, as I think most people consider themselves unique.

I've always hated crowds, always liked my own company, never found it easy to make friends, always had obscure interests of which I could obsessively learn everything about but then know next to nothing about other things.

When I was a kid I was always constantly called quiet and shy. But I don't think it was shyness. Shy is nervous in strangers company. But I just wouldn't want to mix with people. And when I did I would say weird things. Even my own family I used to hide away from in my room. 

I think by my mid 20s I found a way to deal with people. Work probably forced me to do that. But even now I find work meetings both scary and exhausting. 

Anyway recently I was talking with a work colleague who's little boy has Autism. She was telling me about the things he does, and it reminded me so much of myself at that age. So out of curiosity I did a few online Autism tests and they all said that I would be on the spectrum and that I should seek proper diagnosis.

Now I don't know what to do. I really want an answer, but I don't know if I'm being silly. Part of me thinks I'm going to make an appointment with my GP and he will just think I'm some sort of attention seeker. A bit like how some people google the symptoms of their headache and they suddenly think they've got a brain tumour!

So really I just wanted peoples opinions on what I should do. Also if any adults on here were diagnosed then I would love to hear their story.

Parents
  • Go for it and get tested - the worst that will happen is that you don't meet the criteria for the condition, but in any event afterwords nothing changes other than your knowledge.

With that knowledge (assuming you are autistic) you can research it and begin to understand yourself better.

You even know where to go to find help with any traits that are troublesome for you (check out the search option at the top right beside the donate button) and know there is a community of like minded individuals ready and willing to offer their advice, support or just socialness with.

Going private for your diagnisis will cost £500-2000 depending on where you chose, but the NHS can take an eternity it seems (2-3 years unless your GP gives access to the "right to chose" option in which case it may take months).

Have a browse through the search results for "newly diagnosed" or similar and you will have a host of answers for your planet sized brain to digest (see if you spot the autistic TV show reference there).

Welcome onboard.

• Go for it and get tested - the worst that will happen is that you don't meet the criteria for the condition, but in any event afterwords nothing changes other than your knowledge.

With that knowledge (assuming you are autistic) you can research it and begin to understand yourself better.

You even know where to go to find help with any traits that are troublesome for you (check out the search option at the top right beside the donate button) and know there is a community of like minded individuals ready and willing to offer their advice, support or just socialness with.

Going private for your diagnisis will cost £500-2000 depending on where you chose, but the NHS can take an eternity it seems (2-3 years unless your GP gives access to the "right to chose" option in which case it may take months).

Have a browse through the search results for "newly diagnosed" or similar and you will have a host of answers for your planet sized brain to digest (see if you spot the autistic TV show reference there).

Welcome onboard.

Children
No Data