Hello, Newly Diagnosed, relieved and wanting to connect

Hello, Im fresh off the diagnosis. Amazed, relieved and overwhelmed. Im having help to integrate this understanding of myself. But i want to connect with others. please say hello. I have always overfelt everything, light, smells, sounds, peoples emotions and not had a clue why i am so exhausted all the time from it. And now ahh that's why.... I am autistic.

Im 48, female, I will always get overwhelmed but this is my first step into connecting with others.

Please say hello

N

Parents
  • Hi, I was diagnosed this year too (I’m female and in my 50s). 
    I relate to your description of having always ‘overfelt everything’ - yes, that’s how I have always felt too. 
    Both my children are diagnosed as autistic so I already had a good understanding about autism, but I’m still finding it’s taking me a while to fully absorb what the diagnosis means for me. I’ve been thinking about my life history and the way my life was different because of being autistic but not knowing that I was autistic for all those years. I’m glad to have the diagnosis though because it makes sense of a lot of things in my life, of my experiences etc. 

I still feel I’ve got a lot to learn about how I can use this knowledge to be more comfortable with life, and more at peace with myself. 
    This community is wonderful - so friendly and supportive and such a great source of information and solidarity. 
    So welcome to this community x 

• Hi, I was diagnosed this year too (I’m female and in my 50s). 
    I relate to your description of having always ‘overfelt everything’ - yes, that’s how I have always felt too. 
    Both my children are diagnosed as autistic so I already had a good understanding about autism, but I’m still finding it’s taking me a while to fully absorb what the diagnosis means for me. I’ve been thinking about my life history and the way my life was different because of being autistic but not knowing that I was autistic for all those years. I’m glad to have the diagnosis though because it makes sense of a lot of things in my life, of my experiences etc. 

I still feel I’ve got a lot to learn about how I can use this knowledge to be more comfortable with life, and more at peace with myself. 
    This community is wonderful - so friendly and supportive and such a great source of information and solidarity. 
    So welcome to this community x 

Children
  • Hello Kate Kestrel,

Thank you for writing to me. Your message really hit home, I seem to be consumed with reevaluating my past through this new autistic lens. Sometimes it's comforting, but mostly it's just frustrating that there were opportunities in front of me which I couldn't take because I was so overwhelmed and paralysed by it. And then judged by others for being foolish or sensitive, or whatever it is that they saw me. I guess being diagnosed at 48. There's going to be quite a lot of unravelling today, but hopefully I'll get to the end of that and like you say find more peace with myself.

The strange this is I've worked with autistic adults and children a lot through my career. And have had some amazing outcomes and connections which my colleagues questioned. I now realise why. Im one of the gang.

thank you for welcoming me, joining here has been a massive step and its great to know i am not alone.

N