Recent diagnosis and antidepressants

I’ve been on antidepressants for over 18 months (Sertraline) having been depressed on and off for 10 years. I’ve been very recently diagnosed as autistic (I’m 27) and I’m wondering whether I should come off the meds to try and figure things out better. Any thoughts?

Parents
  • Always best to speak to your GP, but from personal experience, a GP cannot differentiate depression from burnout. I’ve had Sertraline for depression and it definitely got me out of a hole. However, I was strongly advised to take it again, but I was experiencing burnout not depression. They insisted it was depression. I know my body and mind, and refused. I had several courses of CBT, some of which were useful indeed. I didn’t need the medication. I feel better than I ever did now that I manage myself better (following diagnosis)

If it’s working, why stop? If you feel you’ve made no improvement, or you’ve reached a plateau then talk about reducing your dosage and tapering off. And if you do, go very slowly. Slower than the GP will recommend.

• Always best to speak to your GP, but from personal experience, a GP cannot differentiate depression from burnout. I’ve had Sertraline for depression and it definitely got me out of a hole. However, I was strongly advised to take it again, but I was experiencing burnout not depression. They insisted it was depression. I know my body and mind, and refused. I had several courses of CBT, some of which were useful indeed. I didn’t need the medication. I feel better than I ever did now that I manage myself better (following diagnosis)

If it’s working, why stop? If you feel you’ve made no improvement, or you’ve reached a plateau then talk about reducing your dosage and tapering off. And if you do, go very slowly. Slower than the GP will recommend.

Children
No Data