Recent diagnosis and antidepressants

I’ve been on antidepressants for over 18 months (Sertraline) having been depressed on and off for 10 years. I’ve been very recently diagnosed as autistic (I’m 27) and I’m wondering whether I should come off the meds to try and figure things out better. Any thoughts?

Parents
  • First of all, as others have rightly said,  don't come off without talking to your GP.

That said, I realised/accepted my autism very late in life after years of treatment for depression and various antidepressants. Once I had accepted I was autistic and that what I had been experiencing was meltdowns and shutdowns, I was ready to come off mirtazapine. This I did very slowly under the supervision of my GP. After 3 months I am now off mirtazapine and able to manage my meltdowns and shutdowns with meditation exercises.  In particular I have been taught how to concentrate on my breath. This also depends on me realising I am approaching a crisis. 

I must stress that this is my experience which may not be the same for others. In my case this was after I retired so without the stress of work.

• First of all, as others have rightly said,  don't come off without talking to your GP.

That said, I realised/accepted my autism very late in life after years of treatment for depression and various antidepressants. Once I had accepted I was autistic and that what I had been experiencing was meltdowns and shutdowns, I was ready to come off mirtazapine. This I did very slowly under the supervision of my GP. After 3 months I am now off mirtazapine and able to manage my meltdowns and shutdowns with meditation exercises.  In particular I have been taught how to concentrate on my breath. This also depends on me realising I am approaching a crisis. 

I must stress that this is my experience which may not be the same for others. In my case this was after I retired so without the stress of work.

Children
No Data