Recent diagnosis and antidepressants

I’ve been on antidepressants for over 18 months (Sertraline) having been depressed on and off for 10 years. I’ve been very recently diagnosed as autistic (I’m 27) and I’m wondering whether I should come off the meds to try and figure things out better. Any thoughts?

Parents
  • I’m wondering whether I should come off the meds to try and figure things out better

I would definately speak to your GP before considering this - coming off needs to be managed and controlled so that any resurgence of symproms that it was used to address can be tackled.

It is not uncommon for autism to have accompanying conditions (ADHD, bipolar etc) so it really needs a doctor who knows about your original diagnosis for the drugs to review them in light of your recent autism diagnosis.

I'm afraid it is a common issue for patients to want to manage their own medications without really understanding whether the condition this is used for is affecting their judgement. I've seen a lot of people who were bipolar go through this when they were having an episode and it rarely ends up not getting messy.

It is up to you if you want to share the original diagnosis that led to the antidepressants - no need to if you are not comfortable in doing this.

Good luck

• I’m wondering whether I should come off the meds to try and figure things out better

I would definately speak to your GP before considering this - coming off needs to be managed and controlled so that any resurgence of symproms that it was used to address can be tackled.

It is not uncommon for autism to have accompanying conditions (ADHD, bipolar etc) so it really needs a doctor who knows about your original diagnosis for the drugs to review them in light of your recent autism diagnosis.

I'm afraid it is a common issue for patients to want to manage their own medications without really understanding whether the condition this is used for is affecting their judgement. I've seen a lot of people who were bipolar go through this when they were having an episode and it rarely ends up not getting messy.

It is up to you if you want to share the original diagnosis that led to the antidepressants - no need to if you are not comfortable in doing this.

Good luck

Children
No Data