Hi

Hi everyone.  I've been lurking on this site on and off for the last month or so since I was diagnosed with ASD.  As a 55 year old man, with a wife and family I realise how lucky I am.  I think it's going to take some time to come to terms with my diagnosis.  I'm still the same person I always was and to be honest, looking at my life through the lense of autism, everything I've struggled with suddenly makes a lot more sense.  I'm quite nervous about how or even whether to tell people, but I'm keeping it close until I've had a proper chance to let things settle in my head.  Anyway, I hope I to contribute to this forum as I carry on with this journey I never expected to take! 

Parents
  • Hi and welcome, I’m also 55 with a wife and adult children. Most probably like you, I always knew I was different, just couldn’t work out why. the outside world would never guess I’m autistic.  Sometimes I’m very upbeat as it explains a lot about me, occasionally I get very low when I think too much about things I’ve really struggled with, I suppose it’s actually finding acceptance. My family know I’m autistic, not many other people know, I only have two friends, they are both neurodivergent and don’t ask much of me. The only thing with telling people in the outside world is that you can’t take it back. Hope you find a happy medium.

• The only thing with telling people in the outside world is that you can’t take it back.

Absolutely!  

Ben

Reply Children
No Data