Introduction

Hello.I am a middle-aged man and I now realise and accept that I have Aspergers.  I am self diagnosed (I hope that counts).  I will not be getting a medical diagnosis as I don’t see the point at my age.  

I have spent my entire life struggling to fit in with  little success.  I have never mentioned my newly realised Autism to anyone, and possibly never will.  I am terrified of the reaction.  I mask as much as possible, but struggle to keep it up sometimes.  Most people just think I’m weird. I at least have a job and am financially self sufficient, so I have survived.

I joined this community in the hope that I could offer some useful advice or comments.  I will do my best.

Parents
  • Hi Steadman, I am 51, female and I have masked my whole life just to get by. I don't think I'm very good at masking though! 

I read a lot about Autism and that helps. There are some good threads on here about books and other media if you are interested in that.

For me, people just think I'm weird too. I work part time and have a family. I think I have done okay. 

See you "on the boards"

Best wishes,

Mrs Snooks

• Hi Steadman, I am 51, female and I have masked my whole life just to get by. I don't think I'm very good at masking though! 

I read a lot about Autism and that helps. There are some good threads on here about books and other media if you are interested in that.

For me, people just think I'm weird too. I work part time and have a family. I think I have done okay. 

See you "on the boards"

Best wishes,

Mrs Snooks

Children
No Data