Intro from a Parent

Dad to 2 ASD children

Son is profoundly autistic, like a whole new rainbow level of spectrum. 

Daughter is high functioning, at mainstream, just needs a little extra support. 

I am 14years into this journey and every day feels like I'm on step one of a marathon.

Im a loving dad, I try my best, but I cant help from having bad days. 

My triggers when out in the world: (I'm sorry I cant help it)

"I think [Insert Name] is a little Autistic, they are always [Insert Quirk]"

Really? Really!?!

"Its ok"

Thats good to hear, because heaven forbid you said it wasn't, we'd have to snap our fingers and make it all go away. 

• I partially agree. I try to let it wash over me. 

The difference I think is that, I wouldn't dream of passing comment on thier struggles. But people feel compelled to offer me their wisdom.

Strange old world. 

• Autism is a disability that most people have only a limited understanding of even though current estimates show arounf 10% of the poulation are on the spectrum.

It will take a long time until it is well understood by more people but for now autists are a small part of the population and we can't really expect the other 90% to care too much about us to the point where they will want to know more.

It is just people - if it isn't impacting them directly then they won't really care much on the whole.

I try to let it just wash over me even though I wish they did care enough, but then again do we care enough about their struggles to get to know more about them? It seems to work out when you think on it this way, at least to me.