Hello from Germany

Hello,

I am a new member here and i come from Germany. My Name is Niklas and i am 26 years old.

I have autism (Aspergers Syndrome) and was diagnosed 4 years ago at the age of 22. In the last 2 years I have dealt with autism in detail, also with regard to myself, and I have gained a lot of insights. After my diagnosis, I did therapy in an autism center for 3 years, which helped me a lot.
Autism has actually become a special interest of mine for a while, really an obsession. I also researched Lorna Wing's research extensively and found a video where she talks about a social instinct. Do any of you know what she meant by "concentrating on one thing at a time"? Does that have anything to do with central coherence or with special interests?

• Hello, thank you for the awnser. Yes ist is like that. I have had obsessive interests since childhood and i can concentrate on my topics for hours every Day.

• Hello, I think your quotation is about the co-existence of hyper-focus and difficulty in changing from one task to another, that many autistic people experience. From my own experience, I worked in biomedical research, I could be so engrossed in an experiment that I would not notice that I had not stopped to eat lunch, I had not noticed any hunger. Also, if I had a meeting scheduled and it was cancelled at the last minute, I would be unable to do anything useful for up to half an hour, until I had processed the change.